Tuesday, June 28, 2016

GOT JOY?


What's Inside: Could you use a little joy in your life? I know I could. I did some soul searching on the subject and came up with ways that I could refresh my joy as needed. I’ll have to admit, this was a tough one for me. Who can be happy all the time? Is that even a requirement? I‘ll share with you in two parts what I found. I hope you enjoy and share some tips of your own.


Let’s say that the characteristics of the Galatians 5 Fruit of the Holy Spirit are listed in order of importance. If that were the case, joy would be the second most important characteristic that we should posses and display. And, I would have to agree. Where our love keeps those around us encouraged, our joy keeps us edified and encourage.

When I think about joy, I think of a deeper internal force that surpasses happiness. Theopedia.org defines joy as, “a state of mind and an orientation of the heart. It is a settled state of contentment, confidence and hope.” Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary defines joy as “a feeling of great happiness.”

Even though joy is equated to feeling happy, unlike happiness, joy seems to exist in spite of our external circumstances. That means that we can have joy in both good and bad times. We can have joy when things do not work out as we expect. We can have joy regardless of where we are physically or our phase in life. In Acts 16:25 Paul and Silas were so filled with joy that they prayed and sang even while in prison. And, in Job 6:10, Job says, “Then I would still have this consolation— my joy in unrelenting pain…”

God is the source of our joy. However, that does not stop the circumstances of life from trying to eat at our joy through natural ups and downs. We can protect and even restore our joy as we nurture our relationship with God.  As with our other emotions, joy begins with our thoughts. How do we view this world? How do we view our circumstance? How do we view God in all of it? What are the meditations of our heart? What we think about a circumstances, other people or things will directly affect the feelings that we have towards them. So, reigniting the joy of the Holy Spirit in non-joyous circumstance may require a change in thought and perspective.

Psalms 42 and 43 illustrate one individual’s emotional downturn. He is depressed. He does not feel that spiritual closeness to God – He feels as though God has abandoned him. He has not been in God’s presence and he is feeling the spiritual and emotional strain of that. Rather than continuing to nurse the negative thoughts, the writer makes a conscious decision to do something about the way he is feeling. He decides to change his thoughts: “Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.” He starts to think about the good times and the activities that bring him delight and how he will do those things again in the future.

Joy is fueled by hope, faith and expectation. The following are some ideas of how we can recharge our joy even in dire circumstances:

Lean into your relationship with God
God is the source of our joy and He never changes. Remember that the Holy Spirit lives inside of us. And the product of the Holy Spirit is joy. Therefore joy is inside of us if we are Christians. David said, “You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound” (Psalm 4:7). The next time your circumstances cause you to feel down or less than, lean into your relationship with God – He is the source of your joy.

Evaluate what you believe
There come moments in life that force us to reevaluate and consider carefully what we believe. It could be the loss of a job or a loved one. It could be unmet expectations. Regardless of what it is, the results were out of your control and you are not happy about it. Even in times like these God can reveal himself to us in a new way. If you find your joy waning in uncontrollable circumstances evaluate:

What do I believe about life? Do I believe that there is more to this life than meets the eye (2 Corinthians 4:8*)? Do I believe that trouble does not last always (Psalm 30:5*)? Do I believe that the best is yet to come (Job 8:7, 1 Corinthians 2:9*)?  

Do I believe that God’s word is true (John 17:17*; Psalm 19:7b*)? Do I believe that God is on my side (Romans 8:31*) and that He is working all things together for my good (Romans 8:28*)? Do I believe that God is with me always even to the end of this age (Matthew 8:20*) and that He will never leave or forsake me (Deuteronomy 31:6*)? Do I honestly believe that?

If you have ever believed any of these things, you may need to remind yourself of them when life is tough.  It may need to be as simple as, "God loves me...God loves me...God loves me." See whether or not those affirmations turn your heart back to Christ Jesus and restore your joy.

Broaden your view
Sometimes you have to make the tough call. Perhaps the right choice is not the most popular. You might be ostracized or ridiculed for standing up for what you believe in. You may get (illegally) punished for being a whistle-blower. Job says in 6:10, “Then I would still have this consolation— my joy in unrelenting pain—that I had not denied the words of the Holy One”. When your back is up against the wall, if you’re between a rock and a hard place you can take pleasure in knowing that you are doing the right thing. Let the joy of the Lord be your strength (Nehemiah 8:10).

Maybe you are working in a servant level position and it’s hard to give your all in such a mediocre role. “Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people” (Ephesians 6:7). Psalm 84:10 puts it, “ I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.” Knowing that you are in the right place and that what you are doing pleases God should give you the strength, courage and encouragement to keep doing it. It should be our delight to do something/anything for the pleasure of the living God. If, however, you are in a position that is not a right fit for you and your talents, it may be time to move on.

Look at your life and circumstance from a higher vantage point. You can experience joy in your work and decisions when you can find a greater purpose and believe in what you are doing – when your hope and belief are in God (that something greater than yourself). Paul, Silas and the early disciples were able to sing praises to the Lord while in prison or have joy in their persecution because they understood the value of the cause for which they were being attacked. They knew that serving Jesus was worth their life and freedom. Therefore it was their joy to sacrifice for the cause – the something greater, which is spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ. When you know the value of what you are aiming, living, working, striving, fighting for, you can have joy in spite of the consequences.

I’ll add some more points next week. Let me know what techniques you use to light your joy when it starts to dim. I’d love to hear from you. Don’t forget to subscribe. We are so…

Spoiled By God
www.SpoiledByGod.com

VERSES

John 17:17  Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.

Psalm 19:7b  The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

2 Corinthians 4:13  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Psalm 30:5  For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.

Job 8:7  Your beginnings will seem humble, so prosperous will your future be.

1 Corinthians 2:9  However, as it is written: "What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived" -- the things God has prepared for those who love him

Romans 8:31  What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

Romans 8:28  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Matthew 8:20  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age

Deuteronomy 31:6  Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.

No comments:

Post a Comment