Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Perfect Person

(Photo By Khayla Williams)

I had this thought a long time ago. I figure I would share it with you because I still feel the same way. I think that our imperfections are what, in essence, make us “perfect” people. Why would I say that? Let’s think about it. There is not one person, besides Jesus Christ, who does not have any imperfections. Actually…let me take that back. It was prophesied that Jesus “had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him” a. So although he was a without sin, he actually was not “perfect” in the sense that we would use the word. He had physical flaws. When we encounter a person (celebrity or otherwise) who appears not to have flaws, we are taken aback. We wonder aloud or deep down inside what is really wrong with that person. “He/she cannot be perfect,” we say. Some would even go to great lengths to find that “Achilles Heal”. If there were a perfect flawless person, there would be something wrong that. So to have flaws, to make mistakes, to mess up sometimes, makes you normal. And that… makes you perfect. 


So, what is the point? Embrace your differences, embrace your little imperfections; they make you perfect. You are fearfully and wonderfully made b. There is someone else who wises he/she she could have the very features and characteristics that you dislike about you. I have learned to embrace what I have and how to work with it and make it work for me. For example, my hair can be hit or miss. I noticed, however, that it is easier to love the hair that I have when I am not comparing it to the length, look and texture of other women’s. Rather than wanting the hair that another woman has, I choose to learn how to enhance what I have. Sure, I can adopt a style or technique that another is using, but I also have to customize it and make it my own. The very feature/characteristic that you despise about you could be your asset. What about character flaws? You are limited in what you can do about your physical features, but you can always adjust your character. And, I think that you should if you choose. We can all afford to be more patient, kinder, more giving, more assertive, less forceful, so on and so forth. But, I also believe that improving who you are comes with accepting who you are first. Do not be afraid to laugh at yourself. It is okay to make mistakes. There is freedom in that. Free yourself to be yourself. You do not need to strive to be perfect because you are already perfect. You need only to be the best you that you can be, and that is more than enough.

a.     Isaiah 53:2b
b.     Psalm 139:14a

No comments:

Post a Comment