Wednesday, July 13, 2016

TRANSCENDENT PEACE


What’s Inside? We pray for peace: peace on earth, peace in the Middle East, peace and quiet, peace of mind and just plain peace. But what of that Jesus peace that transcends all understanding. What is it and how do we get it? Let’s explore together.


What comes to mind when you hear the word peace? I see myself even-tempered, my breaths slow and deep, not frazzled, moving at my own pace, not worried, unafraid, not tense, in a relaxed state, quiet. I know what my plans are for the next few days and things are going smoothly and as planned.

We pray for peace: peace on earth, peace in the Middle East, peace and quiet, peace of mind and just plain peace. Then, there is the peace of God – the peace that Jesus Crist left with us when he left this world, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you” (John 14:27). This peace is far greater than the peace we envision or even aspire to. This is not the same as the peace this world gives to us (John 14:27). This peace surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7). What is the difference? As it is with love and joy, this peace is fueled from within and exists in spite of the external madness. We can have this peace even when we are not on vacation sipping ice-cold lemonade by the beach. It is the peace in the midst of our real every day lives. This peace can rein within us through the disappointments… the wayward spouse… the betrayal… the loss…the consequences of the bad decision… you name it. What is the worst thing that has ever happened to you? The peace of God guards your heart and mind even through that.

I found some things that may help us harness this transcendent peace. My first guess is BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST. This peace that we seek is fruit of the Holy Spirit, which means you would need to have the Holy Spirit to get it. We receive the gift of the Holy Spirit through our belief in Jesus Christ (*Ephesians 1:13). Jesus did say, “My peace I give you.” So if you want to have Jesus’ peace, you have to have Jesus.

CHOOSE NOT TO WORRY. I think 50 Cent best sums up this point, “You can worry or pray; don’t do both.” In Matthew 6:25-34 and again in Luke 12:22-34, Jesus’ disciples give us His message not to worry, “Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?” Not only is worrying pointless because it accomplishes nothing, but it sends God a message that we do not believe that He can or will take care of us. “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life” (Matthew 6:26-27)?

I made the point that we have to choose not to worry because it is just that – a choice. I find that worry comes naturally for me. The moment things do not go as expected (and that is most of the time), anxiety rises. I have to make a conscious effort if I want to do otherwise. John 14 opens up with Jesus’ remark, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me” (John 14:1). John 14:27 ends with, “Do not let your hearts be troubles.” It’s as though Jesus is saying, “I got you!”

Jesus left His disciples with a word of warning and hope, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 13:33). In the preceding three chapters, Jesus spoke to His disciples at length about the things that were getting ready to transpire. Their lives were about to be shaken up and their faith in Him tested. Jesus told His disciples that hard times were ahead so that they would not be caught off guard, and so that when these things started to happen, it would further prove that Jesus is in fact the Messiah (He was right). God forewarned us that we will face challenging times in this life, but He also assured us that we do not have to worry because He’s got us. Choose not to worry.

CHOOSE TO PRAY.  The peace of Christ that surpasses all understanding comes not only from our belief in Jesus and choosing not to worry. It also requires that we pray and pray earnestly and continuously. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7). I personally have the tendency to make prayer an afterthought. I need to constantly remind myself of God’s presence even when life is good. My heart and mind need to be filled with Him. Who God is needs to be on auto play in my heart, because from the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks (*Luke 6:45). I pray that as I meditate on who God is in the good times, His peace will be my auto response in the challenging times. I will be ready in and out of season, when I choose to pray.

AFFIRM.  We are to present our requests to God with thanksgiving. That sounds like giving God a vote of confidence to me. I’ve heard many spirited preachers say such things as, “Praise God before it happens; praise Him for what He’s about to do.” I personally prefer to keep the pressure off of myself (and God because I don’t know what He is about to do). I enjoy praising Him for who He is and the many things He has already done for me. And, past behavior is a predictor of future behavior. So when I am feeling anxious about what is to come, I can remind myself of the ways God has already proven Himself. I can think about whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy and praise God for those things (*Philippians 4:8).

We have peace when we know that everything is going to be ok. If we could look into the future and know the outcome of a circumstance and see how well things would ultimately turn out, then we would have peace in the present. God has already given us that reassurance. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28 NIV). Many years ago I was diagnosed with bone cancer. It was in the midst of that challenge that Spoiled By God came to my heart. I write at length about my experience in my memoir, “Spoiled By God”. One of the key lessons that I got out of that time was this exert from my book:

I did a lot of contemplating that week. Just about my situation and about God and who He is. I was thankful for His peace that surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7) that He had given me. I began to replay the events of the last few months in my head, and I realized that as a Christian I really have nothing to fear. Let me reiterate: I believe that  (1) when things happen to me they must pass before the throne of God for approval and be given permission and boundaries. (2) If something does affect my life, God never allows me to be afflicted beyond what I can handle (1 Corinthians 10:13b). (3) The weapons that God does allow to form against me cannot prosper (Isaiah 54:17), and (4) He is at work in them and uses them together for my good (Romans 8:28). My trials bring me closer to God; they refine me like silver and gold and purify me. They make me a stronger Christian and better person. Fear is of no consequence because I already have eternal life through Christ Jesus. So I am good!

BE THE PEACEMAKER.  The peace of God that we are blessed with does not end with us. We have the responsibility to carry that peace into our daily interactions. “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God” (Matthew 5:9). Be intentional about passing the peace to others (especially in confrontation) and see how it reigns in your own life.

The peace of God is a gift by way of the Holy Spirit within us. It is available for us to tap into when times get tough. It is available for us to tap into always. Believe in Jesus, pray rather than worry, remain grateful to God, always remember who God is and that He is at work in your life for your good, and extend that peace to those around you.

I hope you ejoyed this post. Please, leave your thoughts and comments below; I’d love to hear from you.

Don’t forget to subscribe. You’ll know just as soon as the next one is posted and get exclusive discounts to the Spoiled By God Collections store.

We are so…Spoiled By God!
www.SpoiledByGod.com

VERSES

*Ephesians 1:13  And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit.

*Luke 6:45 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

Philippians 4:6-7  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

*Philippians 4:8  Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

John 16:33  I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

John 14:27  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.


No comments:

Post a Comment