Friday, April 8, 2016

NOTHING BUT LOVE, BABY



What’s Inside: I talked a lot about what the Christian faith is not. I did more talking about what a relationship with God could look like. But then, I pointed out that the all-important relationship with God is not something we can arrive to. If the rain falls on both the just and the unjust and success and failure come both believers and non-believers, what is the litmus test that we are headed in the right direction with God? Does one even exist? I hope you enjoy this read.

It’s interesting that in both the parable of the sheep and the goats (Matthew 25:31-46) and the parable of the wheat and the tare (Matthew 13:24-30) there is a separation that will inevitably take place. And until that time, the wheat and the tare/the sheep and goat all coexist. Perhaps they can be easily distinguished from each other, perhaps not. Perhaps it’s not even our place to make the distinction. Is it our responsibility to point out the faith walk of others (or the lack there of), or to work out our own salvation (might I add, with fear and trembling) (Philippians 2:12)?

I sincerely believe that an intimate relationship with God is the answer to all things – our trials, our struggles, our joy (For some tips on building that relationship, see posts in “The Relational God” series). In my post “Well What Do You Expect,” I mentioned that building an intimate relationship with God is progressive, not something that we simply arrive to. So how can we tell when we are getting close? What is the evidence of an intimate relationship with God? How do we know when we are at lease moving in the right direction? One mistake Christians make is to judge another’s relationship with God based on outward success. If my ministry/business/plans are going well, then I must be walking closely with the Lord. Doesn’t every Christian wish that were the case – the closer I am to God the greater my material success. Unfortunately, the public display of the immorality of prominent Christian leaders and public figure tells a different story.  And, Matthew 7:21-23 paints a chilling picture. Material success (Christian or not) can be indicative of something completely different. To truly assess your personal relationship with God, you have to look a little deeper. The evidence is in things that are internal that then illuminate externally. Our relationship with God is a matter of the heart (see Matthew 7:15-20) and it is reflected outwardly by who we are and how we treat people.

This is going to be a fun discussion over the next few weeks. I hope to step on some toes. Please subscribe and join in the fun.

www.SpoiledByGod.com
We are so...Spoiled By God!

VERSES

Matthew 7:21-23  “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Matthew 7:15-20  “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

Philippians 2:12-13  Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment