Friday, August 15, 2014

Do Christians Think Too Much?




When you come up with an idea that would benefit you and your family, how much thought do you really need to put into deciding whether or not you should pursue it? How much prayer is actually required and to what end?

Sometimes I feel as though I have to put every idea trough the “ringer” because I’m a Christian: Is this what God has for me? Is this in God’s will for my life? Is this idea from God or “The Enemy”? Whenever I get a bright idea is that not my path being directed or is there more action required on my end? Maybe the answer is some of all of it. Smile.

When Truett Cathy, founder of Chick-fil-A, decided that he wanted to make the world’s best chicken sandwich, I don’t think that he stopped to figure out how he could use his sandwiches to end world hunger? Sure, building a profitable business creates jobs, but I am pretty sure that was not his motivation for opening the first restaurant. I think that he just had a great business idea and model and as a result of his success, which I am sure he praises God for, he is able to help people, hire people, give back, etc. I mean, how do you reconcile opening a restaurant with God’s will for your life - how does anybody outside of a career in ministry make that determination? Every Christian was not created to be a pastor. What if your motivation is simply to build a better life for you and your family? What then?

When we get the idea to start a project or create a business, we always must use conventional wisdom – do the due diligence, research, cost analysis, weigh risks and rewards, pros and cons, ROI, pray about it, seek wisdom. And we have done all of that, what are we waiting for – God’s verbal permission to move forward? Probably not. Peace? I would say so. If you feel at peace about your project, if you have done your due diligence, sought counsel and are satisfied with the risk and rewards, that may be your cue to move. Commit that thing to God (Proverbs 16:3), commit to doing it His way and go!

Not everybody is privileged to “dialogue” with God. I do not know that I have ever done that. I may feel an urge or at peace about something and I use that as the indicator to move forward. But at times, I find myself confused when after receiving peace, I entertain further internal debate trying to decipher if it is God, the devil, or me. (A mental debate that I am sure a non-believer never has.) This thought process could be paralyzing. I become stuck – a prisoner of my thoughts.

I have found that there is freedom in moving. Dr. David Cooper (pastor at Mount Paran Church of God) gave a message one Sunday about knowing the will of God for your life (click here to go to the notes from that sermon). In it he made the point that God have given us the intelligence to make decisions about our own lives, and that it is up to us to ask God for wisdom and then make those choices. After asking God for His wisdom, I am reminded of James 1:5-7 (see verse below). We have to believe that once we have asked God for His wisdom, we have it. There is so much freedom in that! I am afraid the too often the will of God is used as a safety net for disappointment and a scapegoat for failure. “It just wasn’t in Gods will”, they say. Perhaps. Or, maybe delay is just part of the process. (More on that later.) As for me, I choose to exercise my freedom in Christ going forward. If the idea and supporting research matches the above-mentioned criteria, I am going for it. The important thing is that I include God in all that I am doing, talk to him about it and be willing to be flexible. Other than that, I’m jumping in. Whose with me?

Verses

Proverbs 16:3 - Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.

James 1:5-7 - If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment