Saturday, November 15, 2014

And Then There Were Two



It has been a while since I acknowledged one of these experiences. This week I attended a business function with some of my co-workers. Lunch was provided in the form of box (bag) lunches. The employees of the host establishment laid the boxes out on tables and event attendees were free to grab a lunch. There were a couple of other lunch options including salads and wraps but those did not include all of the extras that came in the boxed lunch. I grabbed a box for myself and debated picking up a wrap as well. But, in an effort not to be inconsiderate or greedy, I accepted my single box lunch with its simple sandwich, chips and a cookie. 

As I ate with my co-workers, I noticed that one of them had a box lunch as well as an additional wrap. Shocked, I said, “Hey, I didn’t know that we could get two!”

“Me either,” the co-worker responded, “I just took two.”

Immediately I go into deep self-assessment thinking. “I’ve got to stop being polite,” I responded. “Being polite never gets me anywhere.”

About one minute after the close of our conversation, a woman with whom we were socializing earlier approached us with her box lunch in hand. “Does anyone want my sandwich? I’m a vegetarian, I’ll eat all the other stuff.” She removed the sandwich from her box, handed it to me and walked away.

My co-worker and I exploded with delight. “See how quick God answered your prayer,” he said to me, “Now you’ve got two sandwiches.”


I exploded in delight once again. I had almost missed that. As simple and unintentional as it was, God responded to my griping. I also accepted it as reassurance that perhaps I do not need to change my polite ways after all. I’m so Spoiled By God.

Check out this story and more on my website, SpoiledByGod.com

No comments:

Post a Comment