Friday, September 12, 2014

Satisfied.



The passing of Robin Williams saddened me. This was an actor who I grew up watching and sincerely enjoyed his work. I never met him; I do not know (nor pretend to know) about his specific battles and circumstances, but the incident raised a couple of questions in my mind. (1) Is the money ever enough? (2) Is success ever enough? It is easy for me and others look at the lives of celebrities, and conclude that they truly have it all. There is no way that they lack anything. Some have financial success, properties and possessions, are doing the work that they love, have a spouse and children and their health. With all of that, one must be satisfied with life. What more could a person need or ask for?

It is disheartening to hear about the numerous celebrities and successful individuals who either use or abuse harmful drugs (prescription or illegal). For one, it really interferes with the ant-drug message. It’s a challenge to warn young people against drug use when there are so many reports of successful entertainers who use some sort of drug – it’s in the music, it’s on TV, its in our news. How do you tell a young kid they won’t amount to anything if they get hooked on drugs while their favorite substance abusers are flashing money and a glamorous lifestyle in their faces? How can we expect them to see through the smoke and mirrors? But, I digress.

I have to admit; I just don’t get it. If you could have everything you could ever want for – what more could you possibly need? What could someone be so lacking that they need yet another external source of stimulation to give them a high. Why are the money, possessions, family and fame not enough of a high? Shouldn’t someone who appears to have everything able to get high on life itself? Why do they, in time, still destroy themselves?

Matthew 13:44-46 tells the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl:

“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

These stories tell me that there is something of value that is worth far more than everything I have combined.

“He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end” (Ecclesiastes 3:11b)

 He also has planted eternity in men’s hearts and minds [a divinely implanted sense of a purpose working through the ages which nothing under the sun but God alone can satisfy] - Amplified

This verse to me explains the reason why we search. It is the reason why the money is not enough, success in not enough. God aloe can be enough. We can have money and not have God and perish. We cannot have money yet have God and still survive. That does not mean that it is easy by any stretch of the imagination. Neither am I saying that being broke is something to strive for. But we can all learn to be content in every circumstance (Philippians 4:11-13). To hold on to God and to hold on to hope is to survive.

Romans 5:2b – 5 says, “And not only that, but we also glory in (our sufferings), knowing that (suffering) produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.”

There was a time in my life when that line, “hope does not disappoint” was not easy to cling to. I could not understand what God meant by that. I had hope through the lens of my perverse perception of who God was and what He should have been doing in my life. And, I was very disappointed; I was angry because my bible was broken. But along my processes of knowing God, I understand this verse and can apply it a little differently.

First, that Holy Spirit is the One who is in us who is greater than the world (1 John 4:4). It is not about our amazing willpower and us. It is by His Spirit that we are able to overcome the challenges that plague us and be content.

Second, with God, we have a way out, and peace does not come in death but in a surrendered life. Surrendering to the fact that none of this matters. God has given us this life and even our possessions to enjoy not for them to consume and destroy us (See 1 Timothy 6:17).

Our things are nice, but they are not significant. They are for us to enjoy, not for us to live for and certainly not worth dying for.  The comments, opinions and acceptance of others can be enjoyable. But, do we live by them? No.


We miss the true value of life when we miss the true source of our contentment. I will use the example of our kitchen sink.  To miss the source is much like looking to your kitchen sink as the source and provider of your water. Water flows into your house from the tap, which is directed there from the water treatment plant. The water plant sources water from underground, rivers, streams, oceans and rain and heaven and GOD! We stop the buck too soon when it comes to our awareness. We have to able to see the marble countertops, stainless steal sink, and platinum faucets for what they really are. Then we can see past them to what truly matters – GOD.


~VERSES~

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:11-13)

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. (1 John 4:4)

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. (1 Timothy 6:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment