Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Promise is in the Presence


I got a good message out of church today that I though I might share. I cannot remember every point made by the preacher, but I did get the lesson that was intended for me.


In many of my life decisions, I attempt to anticipate the future. In those instances my ambitious mind becomes my nemesis. I wonder what is there to gain from getting involved with a specific group or activity or job. Would doors open that would ultimately lead me to my life goals and desires? I am more concerned for what the future could bring for me in a certain place rather than the present need being filled. Such thoughts are blinders. If I could not see the gain from staying in one place, I would become restless. I was trying to design my own life without knowing any of the pieces to the puzzle. The attitude that I should have taken (and should take) is the one described by the preacher in today’s service. The promise is not in the location but in the promise itself.  The promise is God with me. No matter where I am or where I go, God is there with me. That is the gift of the Holy Spirit. “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (Jesus – Matthew 28:20 b).

Another phrase that I can apply to this though is, “Blossom where you are planted.” I do not need to be anxious for what is next thinking that I am somehow in the wrong place. God is with me. I am sure that He will manage the details. I simply need to rest in His presence where I am. My present location (job, church, school, etc.) may not be the stepping-stone to my “destiny” nor my ultimate goal, but there is still something here for me to learn and contribute. Each phase of life is part of the growth process. They are working together for my good (Romans 8:28) – developing and training me in some way for the next step. So, I need not manipulate my path bouncing around try to create my future. I need only walk it, learn as I go and take it all in. Indeed there will be times to act and move. In all other instances, it makes sense to just be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10).

Verses

…The mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people. To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. 1 Colossians 1:26 – 27  

And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.  Matthew 28:28

“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”  Hebrews 13:5

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Deuteronomy 31:6

“The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”)  Matthew 1:23

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment