Tuesday, July 5, 2016

IS YOUR JOY COMPLETE?


What's Inside: I could certainly use a fresh dose of joy, could you? Join me as we wind down this topic of conversation with more tips on how to reignite your joy. (If you missed part one, GOT JOY? read it here.)


Often times I find myself lacking joy for no apparent reason. My emotions and energy are low and I just feel irritated with my life. When I find myself in that downtrodden state, I have to take a minute to search my mind and heart to see what thoughts are on auto-replay. “When you are on your bed, search your heart and be silent” (Psalm 4:4b). David writes in Psalm 139:23, “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.” I have to stop and examine how I am viewing my life, my job, and my situation. I wonder sometimes if I am lacking joy because I am placing too much emphasis on the material things of this world. Am I giving certain things an inflated perceived valuation? When my children are driving my crazy or work is the last place I want to be, I have to ask myself, “How can I find joy in my living? How do I take delight in my job, my chores and my children (when I am tired and they are at their worst)? What true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy thing can I think about (Philippians 4:8*) in order to recharge my joy? What perspective do I need to have?

Evaluate your perspective
Sometimes I need a simple reminder that this life and all the things in it are temporal and the things of God eternal (2 Corinthians 4:13*). Other times, I must bearing in mind that the things of God and his kingdom far outweigh the things of this world (Matthew 13:44-46*). I do not believe that ambition is a dirty word, but when the journey to accomplishing my goals begins to throw off my spiritual balance and feelings of joy, it is time to put life back into perspective.

Change your focus
One of my greatest personal challenges is not comparing my progress/ phase of life with those around me. It is even more challenging with social media. Even as I celebrate the success of my colleagues, I question when any of my own efforts will be rewarded. It’s an ugly game to play and yet I engage so effortlessly. My “pride of life” vise kicks into overdrive. I begin to fixate on the little things and all that is wrong and my joy becomes compromised. Eventually, I feel disgruntled with life. My remedy? Change my focus.

By God’s grace we are not slave to our thinking. We can choose to change our thoughts. David prayed in Psalm 19:14 “Let the words of my mouth and mediations of my heart be acceptable in your sight.”  When you find yourself focusing of the irritating details, try turning to gratitude. Think about what you are grateful for. Consider your own path and focus on what you need to do and can do right now. Fill your heart as best as you can with hope – for from the overflows of the heart the mouth speaks (Luke 6:45). What keeps going in is going to come out.

Try also to see life beyond your trouble, your trail and your circumstances. Believe that better times for you are coming. Set a reminder. That will help to lift your spirit. Having faith and hope gives you joy. Do not be afraid to have either. Do not focus on those things that upset you. Change your focus.

Love a little
“If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you” (John 15:10-17).

I always thought that the decision alone to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior was enough to fulfill me. I later learned that I am most fulfilled when I am expressing that love to others. Regardless of my phase of life, I feel joy and significance when I can help someone else. The task can be great or small, but if it means something to the recipient, it means the world to me. Should you find yourself still searching for something to fulfill you, try loving your neighbor. If you need a challenge, make the effort to love your enemy. (See my Love posts for tips on how to accomplish that). We can have everything, we can do anything, but our life and satisfaction will always fall short unless we make the effort to love the people we encounter on a daily basis.

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)

Jesus Christ died so that we might have life and have it abundantly. I believe that joy is included in that abundant life. Joy does not mean that never get disappointed, let down, or sad sometimes. It is an inward force that keeps us pressing forward toward that goal. Joy makes it easier to get up in the morning, to keep going, fighting, pursuing, living. If we have a relationship with God, His Holy Spirit is inside of us and we do have joy. Sometimes we just have to call it out.

I really hope that you enjoyed this post. Our conversation will continue as we explore more of the fruit of the Galatians 5 Fruit of the Holy Spirit.

I’d love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in the comment section below, and don’t forget to subscribe.

We are so Spoiled By God
www.SpoiledByGod.com


VERSES

Philippians 4:8  Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

2 Corinthians 4:13  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Matthew 13:44-46  “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment